Avoided fighter

It happens to us all. Get a good fighter and once he gets in top 50 in rankings, no one wants to fight him. This lad has got high cut tendency so when he is up in rankings the belt holders won’t fight him then his next fight he gets cut. Really frustrating but it’s really satisfying when you get a belt.

2 Likes

Had this guy in my current game that didn’t get a title shot until his 39th fight. He had 7 European title defences. No one would fight him. Like you say, makes the title win all the sweeter. Very realistic!

1 Like

My lads not brilliant but weight above is really weak in this career so just want a belt so I can move him up. He signed when he was 33ish with no fights under his belt. So he’s about 38 now. If I get him to no1 in rankings I might vacate a belt. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Was watching some Ali documentary and didn’t realise it took so many fights (15?) for him to get another title shot (Ali/Frazier I).

1 Like

That’s crazy. Just had a look at his record. He even fought the likes of Joe Frazier and Ken Norton for the NABF title during that time.

1 Like

It’s mental!

This is from now on our stock response to anyone hassling us about how long it takes to get a title shot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Marvin Hagler is the one that gets me. 50 fights for his first shot! 54th before he won it!

And here we have a Scot from tiny Prestonpans going for undisputed in his 18th fight next week!

1 Like

Thats just mental. And then stitched the guy up to get the belt off him again against Sugar Ray Leonard.

1 Like

It’s even crazier when you compare it to loma. Got title fight in 2nd fight. I knows it’s a bit different with loma’s amateur record and olympic golds. But definitely shows boxing organisations look whose face fits as champions.

2 Likes

This is my mans biggest problem. He won’t be fit till after next rankings are announced so will end up been out of rankings.

1 Like

It’s hard getting around the cut - I had one p4p fighter in my stable but high cuts too- I had to get him to jab and move where possible and brought in a coach who was a great cutman - he got to like 50-1 before I forgot to renegotiate his contract…

2 Likes