Fantasy Fight: Who Wins?

• Mike Tyson in prime
  • Tyson Fury in prime (so far)

0 voters

2 Likes

This is one of the our top things we never get round to adding into this current game series.
We started back in the mid-90s making boxing sims creating historic and current ā€œwhat ifsā€ and generating fight oddsā€¦

3 Likes

I loved Mike Tyson, one of the reasons I got into boxing. But I think Fury is way better than he gets credit for. He would be all wrong for MT in my opinion. A giant who can dance around the ring while trash talking :joy:. MT would lose the head. Fury v Lewis would be a closer one imo.

Fury is a class act in these times. Totally. Just think prime MT gets closer and more opportunities to land one than, for example, Wilder did. However as we saw TF goes down. Mike Tyson inside 3ā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

I saw Mike Tyson. He is shorter than Tyson Fury and much lighter but I remember Tyson knocking out so many top contenders in the 1st round. The Mike Tyson after the loss to Buster Douglas was not the same Mike Tyson in his prime, Mike Tyson was the one boxer that people feared going into the ring. The power in his upper cut was outrageous. If you got hit once by a Mike Tyson uppercut, you were down on the Mat.

Tyson Fury is the new generation of heavyweights. You saw it with the Klitschko brothers and others that are tall over 6ā€™5 and muscular, you also see a more technical fighter with the new generation. Mike Tyson would just go berserk and fight with a rage unmatched. Most boxers that do that tire out and canā€™t continue at that pace but Mike Tyson approached his fights with the strategy of knocking them out in the first couple of rounds. People also under estimate how fast his punches were. In his prime, he was the fastest heavyweight with a punch.

Later on in Mike Tysonā€™s career you saw how fighters like Evander Holyfield could contain Through avoiding the upper cuts, tying him up and being more active with your feet movement. Also, the power of Mike Tysonā€™s punch was much lower after prison. Also, he was not quick as he was in his prime. Holyfield was able to avoid the huge uppercuts.

But to see Mike Tyson in his prime, that was a treat. I do not know of another boxer in the history of the sport that had such a powerful upper cut. The only way for Tyson Fury to beat him in his prime is to tire him out and use his long arms and height advantage . Tie him up and tire him out while avoiding the upper cuts, Much easier said than done,

By the way, growing up, my favorite boxing game was Nintendoā€™s Mike Tyson Punch Out. Such a fun game and the characters you fought were really cool. Pretty much each fighter had a pattern to his fighting style and once you figured out the pattern, you could win the match. Mike Tyson was the final champion. If you got hit once, youā€™d be down on the Mat. Fun arcade style boxing game.

2 Likes

Would love to have seen Mike Tyson live. Was pure excitement whenever he fought. Remember getting back from a club to a huge house party for the Tyson Lewis fight.

An on form peak Mike Tyson can beat anyone. I think Fury would have to stay away from him for a few rounds and try and frustrate him. Then go for it. Which I think he would do. But then as rummy would say ā€˜I donā€™t know shit about boxingā€™ :joy:. If you guys donā€™t know rummy then check him out on YouTube. The best boxing content on it.

I loved punch-out as well. Glad Iā€™m not the only old(er) guy here! Crazy there has been no Fight Night since Champion. Boxingā€™s popularity took a huge dip in America. Probably a lot of it down to the lack of US Heavyweights since that golden era.

2 Likes

I find it hard to imagine MT beating Fury.
But, after rewatching Fury topple over in that round 2 knockdown verse Cunningham - I do begin to wonder. Not sure MT would allow Fury to box him.
Iā€™d be quite confident MT would beat Wilder, and maybe even Anthony Joshua. But Iā€™m not so sure with Fury. On a good day, with that height advantage, itā€™s hard to be confident Fury would lose.

Given how heā€™s gone down to A.N.Other then MT keeps on walking through and knocking him down until he canā€™t get up.

Tempted to get the team to set this up in the gameā€¦

Do it! Be interested to see what stats you guys would come up with for the 2 of them.

Be interesting to see what people here would make of their respective attributes in the BM formatā€¦

Ring generalship:
Punching Power:
Aggression:
Punch Accuracy:
Defensive skills:
Takes punishment:
Chin:
On the canvas:
Cut tendency:
Dirtyness:
Box office:
Dedication:
Intelligence:
Stamina:
Conditioning:

ā€¦ everyone logs off the website :joy:

Thatā€™s a tough one to do. Might attempt it later. Iā€™m a big fan of both though so would probably give them both too high ratings.

Very difficult. Here is a first attemptā€¦!
Iā€™m sure there will be plenty of disagreement!
Both at their peakā€¦

Ring generalship: MT (18) TF (19)
Punching Power: MT (19) TF (16)
Aggression: MT (20) TF (18)
Punch Accuracy: MT (17) TF (19)
Defensive skills: MT (18) TF (19)
Takes punishment: MT (19) TF (20)
Chin: MT (19) TF (16)
On the canvas: MT (18) TF (20)
Cut tendency: MT (19) TF (15) - if high means less likely to get cut.
Dirtyness: MT (19) TF (? Still thinking)
Box office: MT (20) TF (20)
Dedication: MT (20) TF (20)
Intelligence: MT (17) TF (20)
Stamina: MT (20) TF (20)
Conditioning: MT (20) TF (18)

1 Like

I canā€™t argue with much of that. Looks fair to me. Fury is pretty dirty as well I would say. Likes to use his weight and every little trick in the book. Not biting ear dirty though!

Funny Iv never been 100% sure what way round the cuts stats is either!! But I thought high was more likely to get cut! @IronMike can you confirm this please?

Confirm. High means more likely to cut

1 Like

I agree with most of your numbers. However, Iā€™d give Mike Tyson maximum for generalship, punching power and accuracy and reduce his chin, intelligence and stamina just a tad. Mike Tyson would knock everybody out in the first or second round usually and would never go the distance in his prime.

3d](/t/fantasy-fight-who-wins/318/13)

Very difficult. Here is a first attemptā€¦!
Iā€™m sure there will be plenty of disagreement!
Both at their peakā€¦

Ring generalship: MT (18) TF (19) - MT a 20
Punching Power: MT (19) TF (16) - Iā€™d raise each of them one point
Aggression: MT (20) TF (18)
Punch Accuracy: MT (17) TF (19) - In his prime MT a 20
Defensive skills: MT (18) TF (19)
Takes punishment: MT (19) TF (20)
Chin: MT (19) TF (16) - Iā€™d put MT down to around 16 or 17
On the canvas: MT (18) TF (20)
Cut tendency: MT (19) TF (15) - if high means less likely to get cut.
Dirtyness: MT (19) TF (? Still thinking) MT would be a 20
Box office: MT (20) TF (20)
Dedication: MT (20) TF (20)
Intelligence: MT (17) TF (20) MT probably a 15
Stamina: MT (20) TF (20) MT would be around a 16
Conditioning: MT (20) TF (18).

1 Like

We are resisting the temptation of adding some What If stuff into the game to facilitate thisā€¦ But only just. :slight_smile:
We have that planned somewhere down the line as an Easter egg type thing but always cool to have these things to play withā€¦

2 Likes