And next on Boxing Manager (beta)

and next on Boxing Manager (beta)

We are expecting a busy week of updates (if we don’t encounter unforeseen issues).
More features around core gameplay than we have had in a while and the list below will be growing quite large (fingers crossed)
Thus plenty to test for those who like things occasionally flaking around the edges…:slight_smile:

So far in 1.01.10…
Removed orange fighter labels on ranking screen.
Reduced op of Punching Power against fighters with good to strong chins.
Fighters with low Potential attribute value can now boost Potential using Manager XP via the Fighter Growth screen

2 Likes

Fighters with low Potential attribute value can now boost Potential using Manager XP via the Fighter Growth screen
Manager XP now used when creating new gyms
Manager XP now used when upgrading gyms

Manager xp usage sounds cool.

1 Like

Couple of quick questions…

How would you compare the way XP works with what happens in the real world?

Is it right that upgrading a gym will now use up XP?

We would say that XP works in the game as a proxy for being able to exert influence in real life. Money/funds doesn’t alone provide enough currency (excuse pun) on making some things happen and we like the idea of accruing experience and influence as part of game play. Makes sense to us and seems to make game play more progressive.

At moment we are trialling places where it can be used/makes most sense. Gyms is one place, maybe in influencing rankings, getting title shots etc.

Does that make sense?

Also we are fully aware of the connotations around the concept of XP.

Influence points might be a better if slightly shit name for them :slight_smile:

It just makes sense, ha.
But I think it becomes confusing when you can use XP to improve fighter stats and open a gym. The two are very different areas of the game.

Personally I would prefer XP to be totally separate from the fighter’s stats and training.
A boxer can improve depending on their dedication, activity, ability of coach, quality of gym, relationship with manager and coach, and their potential. I would prefer it if the fighter stats went up and down depending on those things. It is out of my hands to some extent as a manager, but there are things that I could do to influence it. This feels more realistic.

XP - or ‘manager status’, or it could be called ‘social capital’ (to represent the manager’s status and position in the sport) could influence other things. Mostly, it could influence the quality of fighters who want to sign with the manager. It wouldn’t make sense to lose some when you sign one - if anything it would go up. Maybe goes down when you lose fights or a fighter refuses to sign a new contract.

But there could be some rules in the game about what you can do when your XP gets to a certain level (totally unconnected to fighter stats). It could ‘unlock’ opportunities. For example, maybe you need a certain level of it before you can open a gym in another country (or other things that could be added later, like TV contracts or Sponsorships).

Just a thought - I know it’s drastically different to how it works now.

2 Likes

Great post and thanks.
It’s the value of having this group that we can iterate stuff in this way. And quickly.

We have been up all night testing this and would simply say that our rule of thumb for the points previously known as XP (now something like Influence Points) is:-
Things that can be influenced can be influenced with IP.
Things that don’t need to be influenced (like gym opening or upgrading) do not. :slight_smile:

Also, XP is such a loaded term that equally doesn’t explain what this is doing. Influence is the key and as important in boxing, in many ways, as money.

We will apply that principle to a few things. Giving a boost of influence to boost a fighter’s potential could be that remit.

With regard to growing IP is that currently it is a base level. We would like as a manager’s profile and reputation changes make an IP modifier so that the amount of IP gained is dependant on many factors that would bring more depth to the game. Thus the higher the profile , reputation and better record the higher the IP multiplier and thus the more Influence Points gained.

Sounds like you guys are thinking hard about how to make the game better!
Look forward to future game updates! I’m sure it will be great.

Thinking hard doesn’t quite cover it.
We will gradually release the Influence Point stuff over coming week or so. Very gentle so far and ONLY stuff that boxing manager/promoters can influence… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Manager XP renamed as Influence Points (IP)
Fighters with low Potential attribute value can now boost Potential using Manager IP via the Fighter Growth screen
Updated News/In Tray UI/UX.
Manager XP now used when creating new gyms
Manager XP now used when upgrading gyms

1 Like

Just want to raise a question on this bit…

I’m not sure how this reflects real life. Potential, I would have thought, would not need to change in the game. Experiences and personality would slowly unlock more and more potential. Maybe in some cases a fighter never achieves their full
potential because they don’t have those experiences. But for a manager to influence how much potential a fighter has (not if they exploit that potential), would require sophisticated neurosurgery that I don’t think exists yet.

1 Like

We tend to agree…
In theory this is something we like and yet.
Drawing boards are for going back to!:wink:

Really interesting discussion here. I think the bottom line though is that the game still has to be fun. If you couldn’t use xp to improve a fighter then you would really be hampered in terms of improving average fighters. Which would remove a large part of the fun of the game. Personally I look at using the xp on a fighter as just concentrating on that part of his game in the gym. This removes the unrealistic element if you like.

1 Like

I also like the way xp adds a strategy element to the game. Sometimes you really have to think about what to improve and when to do so.

And often that conundrum appears when you have 2 fights left and need one more fight to improve the ring gen. Do you take the fight and risk the fighter not re-signing or if he loses. Or do you improve something else and offer a contract.

That’s just a cpl of examples, plenty more.

Be a mistake to remove it imo.

That’s a fair point and yes very interesting discussion.

For some reason, others may disagree, but the Growth/Fighter XP whilst wholly artificial/unrealistic doesn’'t seem bogus or play badly (now it’s balanced).

Nah it really depends how you look at it. It’s possibly the generic term XP that makes it feel unrealistic to some. And if you see my second post, some of the most strategic elements of the game arise around xp.

Iv always just saw it as part of training. It’s perfectly normal that a coach would concentrate on weaknesses. This just gives the user a hands on approach to it.

We love the Growth part of the game and like the extra involvement. It’s all about balance. When Manager IP can be used to bump up a ranking or guarantee a title shot etc then we can see that will be (very) cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that’s very interesting. And very realistic due to the politics in boxing. Frank Warren for example has always had a cosy relationship with WBA. (Daniel Dubois interim champion after knockout!?)

1 Like

We have a version that you buy/use influence and sanctioning fees that in turn modifies/multiplies the ranking change for each fighter in each ranking according to how much influence you have put in.

It’s good but needs the updated News user experience to work properly :wink: Which they should in next beta update…