Friday Night Fights 🥊

Two decent cards on Friday this week. Nothing really for the weekend so it’ll be nice to have some boxing, albeit on a somewhat odd day of the week.

Shakur Stevenson fights Robinson Conceicao to defend his WBC and WBO Super Featherweight titles. Conceicao gave Oscar Valdez a good fight last year. I expect Stevenson to win by a fairly large margin but who knows?

Second, ProBox is putting together a fun card in their first event in Mexico. Christopher Lopez Rodriguez takes on Alejandro Jair Gonzalez in the main event. The thing with ProBox is it’s a lot of middling, largely unknown contenders, but stylistically they are an exciting matchup for each other. And there are some good prospects on the card as well (Jusiyah Shirley and Jaycob Bradley Gomez Zayas in particular)

Should be a Good Friday of fights :boxing_glove:

1 Like

Joyce v Parker on Saturday night as well.

1 Like

Oh yeah forgot about that. That’ll be a good bout as well

1 Like

It’s the Shakur Stevenson butt whooping show🙌

1 Like

Thoughts on Stevenson not making weight? He didn’t seem too concerned to be fair. Clearly was going to move up anyway.

1 Like

Eh, I think some people on the internet are looking waaaaay too far into it. He’s a kid. Only a couple of years older than I am. He’s jacked. And he’s starting to grow into his man strength. The low amount of body fat on his body makes it more difficult to cut water weight, as there isn’t much of it to lose in the first place.

If anything, seeing a Shakur Stevenson where his body is no longer capable of making 130 is scary, as that means that he’s getting bigger and stronger. All 135ers should be put on high alert.

Plenty huge fights for him at lightweight. Can’t see Haney being too keen to put it all on the line against him.

2 Likes

No way. It’ll have to be a mandatory situation to get Haney to fight him. I’m shocked he hasn’t shut down talks about Loma yet

Shame the Lara/Wood got cancelled. Still whilst the Joyce/Parker thing does not inspire much excitement I’m looking forward to it just to see how far Joyce can go. Weirdly uninspiring heavyweight prospect.

NB Little known BM fact that Joyce was one of the blurred out fighters in the old BM light blue background image :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah hopefully it’s rescheduled. Seems like a good matchup.

Joyce Parker turned into a right good fight. Joyce is just relentless and it’s crazy the chin he has. I think he is a problem for anyone.

Joyce v Wilder would be hugely interesting match up. Joyce gets hit so you wonder if Wilders power can floor him. If not then Joyce would just wear him down and stop him I think.

1 Like

Joyce v Wilder is the fight to make, I agree. Parker had nothing for him. Joyce should try to move fast, at 37 years old the clock is ticking

Yeah next year is huge for Joyce. 37 but an incredible engine. But he does take punishment with his style. Parker caught him clean a few times. Didn’t even blink. Guy is like the terminator.

Mandatory now, so never know his next fight may well be Usyk. I can see his size being an issue there. He also uses his body more now, leaning etc.

1 Like

Will there be an opportunity to enact his mandatory though? Fury is likely next, unless AJ surprises and upsets Fury, then it’ll be the worlds least wanted trilogy for undisputed. Then what? Maybe Joyce at the end of next year? Early 2024? He’ll have to fight in between. Wilder would be cool. Would also like to see Ruiz. Speed vs strength. Could be fun

1 Like

Bit of a half a story about Joyce for you. I don’t know if I heard it on a documentary, interview or commentator during a fight, he’s a freak of nature. He has very high bone density. At some point in his life he had tests done and they found even his cranium was proper thick.
No wonder punches bounce of him. It’s good he can take a punch but he needs to work on defence now he’s moving up levels. Granite chin is a very good back up, but a bit of head movement when he’s moving forward and he won’t need to rely on chin. He fought very cautiously (or smart if you listened to commentators) and even in round 11 Parker couldn’t miss with over hand right or right hook.
His fitness levels are crazy as well. Been able to fight like that for 12 rounds and carrying that weight it shouldn’t be possible. Somewhere around 4/5/6 round Parker was walking back to his corner. He looked at corner with a confused look and shook his head. He honestly looked like penny had dropped that was up shits creek and it was going to get worse.
I like both fighters and was a really good fight. Just out of interest… what do you lot think let’s Parker down? He looks strong, fast, can put a nice combo together, decent footwork and decent engine. There’s just sumat missing but can’t put my finger on it.

2 Likes

I think it’s a general ring iq. He doesn’t seem to be a great game planner. You know exactly what you’re going to get when you fight Joseph Parker. That makes you easy to plan against. Could be a coaching issue for him as well I guess.

1 Like

I don’t think Parker has that spite that a lot of the top boxers have. Seems a bit too nice. Stamina also seemed an issue now. Has had loads of 12 rounders against big punchers. May just be a bit past his best now. Can never take away the fact he was heavyweight champ of the world though.

1 Like

Surely you can say that about every heavyweight bar fury? Haha. I know what your saying though.

I don’t think his stamina is that bad. Seen a few fights where he looked to come on strong at end. One of the fights was against whyte and he always looks shattered after 5-6 rounds.
I hope Parker sticks around in uk. He probably has more fans here than in N.Z now. I wouldn’t mind seeing Parker whyte rematch.

Not exactly. AJ game planned Ruiz to near perfection in their second bout. Ruiz let the fame get to him as well and came in less prepared, but still…

Usyk had a master game plan against AJ in their first fight. And then totally changed it up, being far more aggressive in the second fight.

Mostly, yeah heavyweights are the same fight in and fight out. But not the best ones

1 Like